2014-09-25

Wool dreads

I'm kinda obsessed with wool dreadlocks since they can change your look really fast, can be installed and removed without much trouble and are cheap and easy to make :)

I was decided to make a bunch for my personal use. I'm quite a crafty person so and I thought I'll have no problem making them. And I was right :) I used this tutorial  h  and it was super easy to make them. Also, they wasn't really hard so I love that too.  How ever... I wasn't completely happy with my color choice. For some strange reason I decided to go with black and pastel wool like lavender, pink and deep pink... But the color didn't suited me. 



After looking through many photos of wool locks I found out that more natural earth colors attracted me the most. And it just happened that a friend of mine had some auburn/orange wool she wasn't using and gave it to me.  And completely accidentally two days ago I made that wool into locks and now have a complete black and auburn dread set that I love :)



These a wool locks ponytails :) Really simple to make with a bunch of double ended wool locks :)
Maybe I'll make a tutorial if I'll kike doing that :P 

and this is my "wool locks bub" :) So, what do you think ??




11 comments:

  1. I tried my hand at wool dreads too a while ago. But I went a bit to far with the felting and now they're quite hard. So yeah maybe I'll try it again in the future but for now I leave it.

    I really like the Halloween vibe that's going on with your dreadies <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I update post with a link to a tutorial I used and it was super easy and they are soft enough. I bought a bigger bamboo mat so it was much easier and faster to roll them then with sushi mat ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, they look really nice :) I only have some factory-made dreadlocks, but I'm not very satisfied with them, they unwind quickly and start looking ugly and messy. The handmade wool ones look decent - dense and solid :O How long does it take to make one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out tutorial I linked to in the post (update) :) With that bamboo mat I would say a 1- 2 min :) to roll one :) And yeah, I didn't used spray, I just dipped it in the warm soapy water. And then rolled as shown in the tutorial.

      Delete
  3. The ochre/red really does suit you! I would like some fake dreads in blues and greens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Oh, the are a lot of colors to choose from :)

      Delete
  4. I love the second hairdo you made with the locks! I got wool from a friend with sheeps and felt them. I dye mine with hairdye but would like to dye a few locks in brighter colours.
    I think the woold dreads looks more natural than syntetic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, the it looks much smoother then synthetic and are lighter not to mention much more pleasant to the touch. And more simple to make it. I say go wool! :)

      Delete
  5. The wool locks bub and the colours (both auburn and deep pink) look great - I love how easy you can change your style/look with these dreads by chosing another colour!
    ~Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! I love that too :) Since I work at the place where I have to look quite common, nice, stylish, but common :P So this is like the only way to alter my looks in non permanent way :)

      Delete