2011-09-14

DIY Goth box

I got this  wooden tea box from a shop for 2 dollars. The minute I saw it I knew what I want to turn it to... 
A Gothic jewelry box :) and so I did :)

Da daaa.....
This one is for my most lovable jewelry, that I wear quite often :)

So, if you want one like this, you must:
  • Find a box
  • Some acrylic paint. I used white and black
  • A sponge
  • Small and large brushes
  • Fabric for inner lids and some soft filling I used poly-fill
  • Laces for decoration and other little stuff (skulls, bows, chain, flowers...)
 Lets begin...
 Put some desired color paint on a plate and dilute it with a little water

 Then use a sponge and gently cover the box in thin layer of paint. This way the pattern of wood will be seen trough the paint. I find it very attractive :)

 Do the same to the inside of the box

 Cover the corners with a brush

 I also used grey paint to cover the frame around the glass...

 Then I covered it with special varnish that gives that antique look, when other paint is applied on it...

It  makes little cracks

 
 It's time to glue your laces. I used hot gun glue. I only had red at that moment. I covered it with other lace later but for you I recommend to use transparent glue sticks. Glue them around the glass.

 Done...


 Now do the same thing with other laces. You can choose not to do this. It depends on how you decided to decorate your box.

 Finished.

 Lets make puffy inner filling.

 Cut a circle, as large as your palm.

 Gather the edges with needle

 Put some poly-fill in then draw up and sew it

 Make a puffy ball

 Make some stitches in the middle and put it in an empty section

 Just like this

 Make as much as there are sections in your box. I made them in two different colors you can make as you wish.

 Voila!

 Now it's time to decorate...

 I glued some skulls and leather bat bows, a silver key and polymer clay flowers.
Just use your imagination ;)
 The closer look :) 

And here is my treasures in the Gothic treasure box

And the best part is, that you can use the glass frame as a photo frame and  change the photo whenever you like :)

I painted some abstract flowers later. It came out gloomy but bright. And I like it. So make one too and let me know how it worked out :)

Gothically Yours....

8 comments:

  1. very clever! I had one of those boxes but it didn't have a window so I gave it away. That decorated styled box would be great for storing supplies though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful DIY project, I am going to have to hunt through thrift/secondhand/charity shops for a box to work on. I love the picture you put in the lid, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you all liked it. House Cat, give me a link if you'll post yours. I'd love to see it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a very talented lady. I love this! :)

    ReplyDelete